Oh, hello friends! I am so happy today is Friday. I am very much looking forward to relaxing this weekend and working on baby Aida’s nursery!!
That’s right, her crib is a’ comin’ and the you-know-what is gettin’ real around here. The Type A, organizer in me is just itching to put together an inventory of what we have, and figure out what we need. It may sound hard to believe, but that is my version of a good time–now if I could actually have a glass of wine while doing it, it would be a real party!
This week was oddly busy outside of work–with family visiting for the shower, our anniversary, and my mother-in-law’s birthday, we haven’t had many evenings to ourselves. It’s been a great week, but this preggo is worn out for sure. I’ve just got a few random thoughts here for you today, plus another song for #JAMPackedHoliday, because that’s about all I can manage right now.
– Now that fall tv is winding down, we’re desperately trying to find new shows to watch. This article from Daily Dot has some great recommendations–I would also add Jessica Jones from Netflix to that list. We binge watched it over Thanksgiving and it’s highly addictive. Just don’t watch it with your parents (lesson learned the hard way). I’m also contemplating paying for a Hulu subscription so I can finally watch this season’s episodes of The Mindy Project. I have missed her being in my life.
– I have just about finished my Christmas shopping, and managed to do everything online! I have a few stocking stuffers that still need to be picked up, but otherwise I’m just going to sit back and enjoy the season.
– Matt and I had an incredible dinner for our 3rd anniversary. I will be sharing the deets on that next week, but in the meantime, here’s a teaser:
– Speaking of our anniversary dinner, it’s tradition for us to try something new each year. Share your own #ThoroughlyModernTraditions on social media this holiday season, and one person will be randomly selected to receive a Kate Spade mug and Starbucks gift card!
– I don’t know about you all, but I can get a little moody and reflective during the holiday season–it’s just part of my personality. (I love this piece from the AV Club that explores this dynamic in the Harry Potter books. It’s a quick read and worth it.) All my life, music has been so important to me because of the way it connects with my emotions, and Christmas music is no different. That’s probably why so many of my Christmas favorites are slow-paced tunes from Mannheim Steamroller (you can find some of those here on my Christmas playlist). The two songs I’m adding to the #JAMpackedholiday playlist today (one for today, one for Saturday) fit these complex, seasonal emotions. The first, “Long December,” by Counting Crows, came into my life in 1996–there was a lot going on that holiday season. We had a great Christmas, but there was also a shadow hanging over us because that was around the time my granny was diagnosed with cancer.
The second song, “This is Christmas,” by Curt Smith, was on an episode of Psych. Normally a light-hearted show, the entire episode really captured that up-down dynamic that so many of us experience this time of year–and I know I was feeling it the first time I heard this song. The meaning I find in both of these songs is its own separate post. So, for now, I will add it to the playlist for your listening enjoyment. (Unfortunately, the Curt Smith song isn’t on Spotify, but I’ve included it below from Youtube.)
What are you up to this weekend, friends? What angsty, holiday songs are your favorite?