Beef and Guinness Stew
From the Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook
- 2 T vegetable oil, plus more if necessary
- 2 lbs chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1/2 in. cubes (pretty sure though I only got a little over a pound–we don’t need that much meat!)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 T all purpose flour
- 1 14 oz can chicken broth
- 1/2 Guiness
- 2 T brown sugar
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1 t ground sage
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pep to taste
- 6 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 in. cubes
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (I only had dried and just threw in a couple of tablespoons to taste)
4. Add the potatoes, carrots, and parsley and continue to simmer for another hour, stirring occasionally and adding more chicken broth or water as necessary to keep the stew from drying out and burning.
A few notes about this recipe: it’s a stew, so that means you can’t really throw it together on a weeknight. It’s definitely something to be enjoyed when you have the time to prep, cook, and simmer. You can obviously mix and match your own spices and vegetables–next time, I’ll probably leave out the carrots. I had an eye opening moment when I realized I don’t actually like the flavor of cooked carrots. Lastly, if you’re not sure about using Guinness, you can replace the beer with coke, and omit the brown sugar.
Now it’s your turn! Link up your own HP themed recipes you’ve tried out, or just share with us the most delicious recipe you’ve cooked up recently. Not ready to post today? Don’t worry, we’ll be back on the last Monday of every month to link up again!